This vegan version of the popular Christmas treat with boozy, easy to make home-made mincemeat and crisp coconut oil pastry. Makes 12 mince pies.
- 175gTree of Life Organic raisins
- 175gTree of Life Organic sultanas
- 175gTree of Life Organic cranberries
- 175g Currants
- 100g candied mixed peel
- 100gTree of Life coconut oil
- 170ml Tree of Life Dark agave Syrup
- 50g Tree of Life Almonds (Chopped)
- 1 large Bramley apple (or other variety of cooking apple) peeled, cored and grated
- The finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 240ml port, rum, whisky or brandy
Coconut Oil Pastry
Mince Meat Instructions (It is best to prepare this the day before you make the mince pies.)
- Place the currants, raisins, sultanas, cranberries, mixed peel, Agave Syrup, almonds, coconut oil, grated Bramley apple, spices and orange zest and juice in a large saucepan and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool a little then stir in the booze of your choice. Ladle it into two large, or four regular sized sterilised jars and set aside until completely cold (overnight is best).
Mince Pie Instructions
- To make the coconut oil pastry, place the flour, icing sugar, salt and orange zest in a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the cold, diced coconut oil and blend until it resembles breadcrumbs. Make sure that no lumps of coconut oil remain.
- Add the cold vodka and 2 tbsp water and blend again until the pastry starts to come together. Add a drop more water if needed. Bring the pastry together with your hands.
- On a lightly floured surface thinly roll the pastry out and use an 10-11cm cutter to cut out 12 rounds (If the pastry is too soft then you can pop it in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up a little but don't let it get too cold or it will be hard to roll out.)
- Line 12 cup muffin tray with strips of baking parchment. Gently press the pastry rounds into the prepared tin.
- Fill each one with a heaped spoonful of the mincemeat - be generous but don't fill them right to the top as they will bubble when baking.
- With the remaining pastry either make lids or create little stars to top your pies.
- Place the tray of mince pies in the freezer for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
- Brush the tops of the mince pies with a little non-dairy milk then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbling. Once cooked lift them out of the tin onto a wire rack and leave to cool before eating.